Sourcetree cherry pick error

I have tried to cherry pick a commit but it never works, I always get this error message:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree cherry-pick 1ff4d770a1d6316b54b9718a56b36672036d593c
error: Commit 1ff4d770a1d6316b54b9718a56b36672036d593c is a merge but no -m option was given.
fatal: cherry-pick failed
Completed with errors, see above

Any idea what is causing this problem and what I can do to correct it?

2 answers

1 accepted

This is (the lack of) a feature: cherry-picking/reverting merge commits is currently not possible in SourceTree.

I already created an issue about it. Please upvote it here.

Thanks for the reply – I will upvote your issue.

So then what is cherry-picking, and why does SourceTree have a command that does nothing?

"Given one or more existing commits, apply the change each one introduces, recording a new commit for each." (= duplicate a commit to another branch, in most cases)

SourceTree does implement this correctly, but only for commits which are not merge commits (= commits with multiple parents in the graph).

Can anyone shed light on this? I don't understand what is wrong.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

717 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot