SourceTree keeps asking to authenticate again over and over...

I'm using source tree, am getting fetch updates but on a fairly regular schedule, get a popup to re-authenticate. Why? How do I fix it?

sourcetree-authbox.jpg

10 answers

This is infuriating. Huge bug has existed for months. Will it ever be fixed? Time to dump Atlassian and their broken toolset.

Hi

I had the same. Very annoying. Finally I figured out it had something to do with my account being remembered twice. As myRepoSiteName.com and http://myRepoSiteName.com ->

remove the second one as short version will be added automatically. It helped in my case. Hope it works for you as well.

Best

Adas

Ty Adam!!
I had Bitbucket account saved in the first and second position (short and long version) in the "saved passwords " list.

Source Tree kept asking the third saved password, continuously.

I deleted the long Bitbucket version. Your solution worked for me!!

Luigi

Yes - this solved, I had >1 account saved as well.

Add you BitBucket account, use the Oauth verify account - then ensure you only have one BitBucket account - set that one as default - close down SourceTree and start up again - finally the incessant prompt gone - +1 vote for this.

Switching to Oauth verify worked. Thank you! This was maddening ... 

+1 for @thomaslkp123 's oAuth suggestion. That worked for me. Thank you, those prompts were driving me crazy. 

The best way to avoid this would be to use SSH but Stash should be able to store your password.

Go to Tools->Options->Authentication and make sure that your hostname, username, and password are all saved there.

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 1.33.55 PM.png

I have the same problem, and my password is supposedly saved in SourceTree...

I've resorted to removing all repos from Sourcetree except for one, which uses SSH. I still get this incessant popup.

This worked for me. :)

Alas, I tried everything I could think of including the above, wiping completely, reinstalling. Used SourceTree since before Atlassian acquired it.   But I've had to switch away.

Any app that prompts the user for a password every few seconds should recommend how to fix the issue along the way. 

Found the issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1747

marked as duplicate to this, but the permissions must be private:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1746

Hope they fix it and we can use it again in the future. In the meantime there are lots of other clients.

Brendan, I has the same issue with the Authentication dialog constantly popping up. I managed to fix it by explicitly adding the username to all remote.url configurations.

1. Identify all repositories bookmarked in your SourceTree app (even if hidden in UI).
  2. Open <repository>/.git/config/config
  3. Add the "username" you use to connect to GIt server to all urls like this:
    • url = ssh://username@your-git-server:port/repository

Hope that helps.

Remove any default user names from the authentication tab, and always use urls with myusername@www.xxx.xxx format. Remember password will work again.

Remove all other authentications section in sourcetree other than git hub.

Then click Add or either go to Hosted repositories(to quickly check if it was successful) and click on edit accounts.

In credentials select OAuth and select refresh token. You will be redirected to bitbucket website and click on Grant access.

Now goto your fresh account in sourcetree and select Set as Default.

Done. Now you should see all your repositories in hosted repositories. It shows login error if it is not successful

I have had a problem that I have had to shut down sourcetree totally on mac (command Q) and restart in order to push.  I could then successfully push my changes.  Strangely I can always pull changes, only on push did it fail.

I am now experiencing an issue that I have to constantly connect using auth button to push.  Lasts about 5 minutes and I have to connect again.  I can still pull new changes.

Note I am on Mac.   I am not being asked for my Mac Password,  it is the actual auth to Bit Bucket that I have to sign on to, I am using google Auth.   I did have github sign on as well.  I removed this and my original bit bucket account then reinserted.   No difference.   Given it is mac password it is not issue 1947.

As noted elsewhere 1946 is private,  cannot review for similarity.

0 vote

This is driving me absolutely nuts. It's been a problem for a while but not seems to be no way or working around it. It just constantly asks for the password and never actual works. Command line is fine. Fix your app.

I have noticed that this only happens on a client's bit bucket account.  They have a lot of automation that signs on constantly and many users overnight.   If I work at night I have issues, during the day it is much better.

It appears to be a licensing issue,  not an application issue in my case.   Check the licensing on your bit bucket account and ensure that it is sufficient.

I have never had an issue on my companies account.

That being said a better error message would make this more obvious to the user.

So I fixed this by switching to the system git rather than in built one. Thinking about it calmly: it is not the fact that authentication fails in the first place (though a better error message would also be good); it’s the fact that it spams the ui with dialogs. It needs some sort of error icon to show that there is an authentication failure and/or print in the log. One pop up dialog is fine. Constant dialog spam is just bad ui.

I suspect that behind the scenes the system is being constantly polled and eventually it builds sufficient errors that it stops.   This counter is never cleared and when you try an actual operation it reports the error at that point.

It would be good if I could reduce polling on certain systems and also reset the counter so that the system correctly retries.

I have noted that switching system sign on on the user account and back again sometimes clears the issue.   I do continue to experience this overnight on the client account.  This is important once I clear issue during day it works fine for the day during the day time.

Overnight there are many more users on the client's account (Australian night time,  European day time with many more Spanish programmers than Australian ones.).   I can sign on and immediately have to sign on again overnight.

Nothing worked for me until I dropped the sourcetree data and restarted:

1.) Take a screenshot of the sourcetree repo bookmarks so you will remember what they are

2.) Quit SourceTree

3.) Delete ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree

(This removes all of sourcetree's internal data...bookmarks included)

4.) start SourceTree.

You have effectively Re-installed sourcetree now.  

5.) click remote and you will prompted for your bitbucket credentials

You will need to add back your bookmarks but this is very easy (just drag and drop your project folders onto the source tree view after the restart).

Jim Geppert's suggestion seems to work - or at least allow you to pinpoint at what point you start getting these prompts. Fon Win users: 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb/how-to-wipe-sourcetree-preferences-412484640.html

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

29,191 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you