SourceTree hangs when pushing to svn repo

I've been using SourceTree for a couple of weeks. Previously I used svn and SourceTree has been my bridge between the new (and wonderful?) world of git and the old world of svn.

Everything was working fine, except now when I push my git changes to the svn repository it hangs when synchronising. (See attached screen shot.) The only thing I've done is upgrade from OS X 10.6 to 10.7; my svn repo is on a remote disk. Is there a log file somewhere I can look at to see why it hangs? Can anyone help me figure out how to make this work?

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

This isn't a hang as such, simply SourceTree waiting for the command to continue - therefore the only log is really what you're already looking at.

The most common cause of this issue is authentication; occasionally svn doesn't flush the user/password prompts in a non-terminal meaning that SourceTree ends up waiting forever. One thing that seems to stop this happening is to include your username in your SVN URL, e.g. https://username@host.com/path/to/svn/repo . Another way is to drop to the command line briefly and execute 'svn info SVN_URL', to make svn cache your authentication and therefore avoid the issue. So far I haven't found a way to avoid this problem in all cases except to modify the svn executable, but luckily it doesn't happen that often and these workarounds tend to resolve it.

My svn repository is on a network drive that I access with file:///… with subversion; I don't use http(s).

I tried doing svn info file:///path/to/svn/repo to cache my authentication. I am able to see the information about the repository, but SourceTree still has the same issue.

Oh, that's very odd then. What happens if you try 'git svn dcommit' on the command line?

Unfortunately, I don't have git installed on the command line. I don't have admin access to use the binary installer and I've been unsuccessful in compiling from source.

The only other thing I can think of is that the Subversion install is maybe missing the perl bindings which git uses. You mentioned 10.7, but maybe this might help: http://victorquinn.com/blog/2012/02/19/fix-git-svn-in-mountain-lion/

Right now SourceTree doesn't package Subversion (since it's not really a Subversion client, just interoperates) and just assumes you have everything installed.

I did have this working without a problem when I was on 10.6. I tried a variety of things and finally decided it was easier to re-clone whatever was in the svn repository and start from scratch. I did this on a 10.6 machine. I don't thin this is a problem with SourceTree, but rather the unique circumstances of my setup.

Thanks for the help.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,316 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you