You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I updated to version 188.8.131.52 today and now I can't perform any git operations with SourceTree.
I get the error:
Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile.
I have opened Tools>Options>Authentication and ensured my credentials are valid. I've tried using Basic and OAuth and in both cases SourceTree says "Authentication OK" but I still get the error when trying to push or pull.
Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
I upgraded to 2.1.10 just now and have not yet encountered an authentication problem.
When a person at our office encountered a credentials problem, for a release prior to 2.1.10, the solution that worked for us was to delete a file named passwd located in AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.
My passwd file was zero bytes in length. His pwd file did have content and, after he deleted it, he could authenticate.
Before deleting the passwd file, we had tried the following with no success:
1. Re-entering credentials through the UI provided by SourceTree
2. Deleting the Windows Credentials stored in Windows by SourceTree.
The only other thought I have is to delete the Windows Credentials stored in Windows, delete the passwd file, then restart SourceTree. We had deleted the credentials before deleting the passwd file, and I am not sure if the problem was rectified by deleting the credentials and file, or deleting only the file.
Following is what I wrote down regarding the Windows Credentials. We are using Windows 10.
SourceTree stores credentials in the Windows credential manager. To see and remove them, do the following:
Open the Control Panel.
Click on User Accounts.
In the left hand list of links, click Manage Your Credentials.
When the Manage Your Credential page opens, it shows your Web Credentials. You can see that selected at the top of the page.
Click the Windows Credentials "button". This shows your stored Windows credentials.
In the list, look for entries that start with "git:http" and include your server name and/or user name for Atlassian Stash.
Remove the entries.
For anyone using VSTS + SourceTree, I was able to follow Sean's instructions upto where SourceTree prompted me for the password. It failed to take my credentials because VSTS disabled my existing credential due to too many failed auth attempts (made by 184.108.40.206).
At this point I had to go into VSTS > Code > Clone > Generate Git Credentials and create a new password.
I entered my newly generated password on the SourceTree prompt and it allowed me access.
That is a really good point. We use Atlassian Stash (an old version of Atlassian BitBucket Server). When dealing with the credential issues, sometimes the operation in SourceTree failed due to too many failed logins. The git error messages shown by SourceTree did not make this obvious.
It was only the error messages shown by the Fetch operation that told us Atlassian Stash needed the user to verify they were human via Captcha. So we had to navigate to the user's detail page in Atlassian Stash and click the Clear Captcha button.
So I was able to sort it out just now, by going to Repository->Repository Settings, selecting my repository, and changing the username from my old Bitbucket username to my Atlassian account's email address. Then, following your original advice to remove the passwd file, I was able to successfully pull.
Sourcetree v3.4.8 and deleting windows credentials and password file still works! Thank you so much.
It helped me to solve credentials saving problem with some local GitLab server. I noticed that now host for saved password looks like git.xxxxxx.xx But when I had to input credentials each time, there were http://, username, @ and some other parts in host name. So I think it gets corrupted somehow.