Source Tree not working properly after password reset

Matthew Theriot April 22, 2019

After originally setting up Source Tree to connect to our Bitbucket repository server, everything was working fine.  Then I had to change my password due to 90 day expiration and things started messing up.  I constantly have to re-enter my password in the account settings, after going to the stash login page to clear the captcha.  Then I get a green check mark by my account info for a short period before the issue re-appears.

What's more is, even immediately after doing so, I get this error when trying to pull down a repo:

Repository Type:  This is not a valid source path / URL

More Details: "Command: git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false ls-remote http://mtheriot@jira.orleanscdc.org:7990/scm/scc/second-city-bridge.git
Output:
Error: fatal: ArgumentException encountered.
An item with the same key has already been added.
fatal: ArgumentException encountered.
An item with the same key has already been added.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'http://mtheriot@jira.orleanscdc.org:7990/scm/scc/second-city-bridge.git/'"

The URI path is 100% correct, and it does not matter if I go to a project and choose clone, or go to the stash site and copy the URL or click on the application hyperlink to open in Source Tree.  The third and final issue is that not all projects are displaying for me when I go to "Remote" and view the list of projects.

Anyone have any advice on what my issue might be or how to solve it?  I've tried deleting all the credential entries in Windows Credential Manager.  This is Source Tree 2.5.5.0.

1 answer

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

You can delete the stored password in Sourcetree by going to c:\users\<your user ID>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\Sourcetree and rename/delete the passwd file. That usually helps when my developers change their passwords and get this error when using Sourcetree.

Matthew Theriot April 22, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a try!  I was able to work around the issue by changing the git URI and manually specifying username/password on clone.  Hopefully your suggestion will let me address the underlying problem directly.

Matthew Theriot April 24, 2019

This works so far.  I will wait a few days and make sure it stays functioning, then will mark this as the answer.

Matthew Theriot April 25, 2019

Enough time has elapsed with the issue fixed to convince me this was the solution.  Thanks again Mikael!

Rudopas_Ekaterina June 25, 2020

thank you. 

Maria Juris Omaña December 29, 2020

Thanks this worked for me. :)

Balendu Teterbay July 29, 2021

The Solution worked for me as well. Thanks!

SuperElephant March 9, 2022

Please fix this issue. I struggled for an hour wondering why I update my credentials with app password and it just wouldn't work. EVEN AFTER SAVING THE CREDENTIALS SETTINGS

Milton Plotkin March 17, 2022

This took hours to resolve, but worked for me was the following (major thanks to user TrainLayout for step 3 and 5):

1. Update SourceTree.
  2. Create app password in BitBucket. Make sure the name you give it is entirely lowercase! (When I did these steps, they didn't work until I did this).

3. Manually delete all credentials in Sourcetree (Tools -> Options -> Authentication).

4. Delete "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd". Keep SourceTree open while you do this.

5. Attempt a push, wait for a popup asking for username/password, enter same username as used to create the app password and paste the app password.

Hopefully this should fix things.

GJacobs April 20, 2022

I tried deleting the passwd file but still cannot successfully push via SourceTree.  Any other ideas?

Jermaine Fields July 14, 2022

It's 2022 and this is still an issue!!!

Like Eli Litvak likes this
epilkis December 9, 2022

almost 2023

-reinstalled SourceTree

-Deleted credentials, added new credentials

-Tried oAuth, saying it's successful

Attempted to push to remote and it fails due to authentication. What are your expectations of an average user?

Like # people like this
Eli Litvak February 25, 2023

February 2023 and it's still an issue ! Not the only one. Maybe I shall give a chance to Tortoise git.

Tanya Stay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 19, 2023

Thank you so much! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events