Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should [skip ci] stop a tag trigger?

Andrew Sammut August 24, 2022

Hi there,

I'm building a pipeline that uses github flow, semantic-release and the usual conventional commits. On a merge to main, after a successful set of tests, semantic release does its job, commits the versioned artefacts, and includes `[skip ci]` in the commit message because why would we want another build.

This is where things start to go off a little. Given it's a tag, and not a commit, I would expect the tag to trigger a pipeline. However, it's clear that the tag is not triggering because of the `[skip ci]`.

Has anyone worked out a way, with semantic-release and Bitbucket, to tag commits, but also get the tags to trigger while ensuring that the tagged commit doesn't start another branch push build?

Cheers,

1 answer

0 votes
Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2022

Hey Andrew,

Welcome to the Bitbucket Cloud community! :)

The current behavior of [skip ci] means that every type of trigger for builds will be ignored, this includes commits to branches, pushing tags, and performing PR's.

I have raised a feature request ticket for our developers on your behalf, feel free to "Watch" this for future updates and "Vote" to increase the visibility of customer demand:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-22112

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events