Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up pipelines with selenium

Peter Hughes March 21, 2018

Hi, I am attempting to use Bitbucket pipelines to run our Ruby Rspec/capaybara based specs.

I have the configuration working to the point where the tests are run, but I am having issues running chromedriver.

Selenium::WebDriver::Error::UnknownError: unknown error: Chrome failed to start: exited abnormally

Those are the kinds of errors I am seeing.

I have seen this question posted:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/BitBucket-Pipelines-Selenium/qaq-p/641852

But I do not want to set up browserstack in this instance, - but simply run the tests with chromedriver.

My yml file looks as follows:

image: ruby:2.4.0

pipelines:
    default:
           - step:
              services:
                 - mysql
                     caches:
                        - bundler
                           script: # Modify the commands below to build your repository.
                             - bundle install
                             - apt-get update
                             - curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | bash -
                             - apt-get install -y nodejs
                             - npm install
                             - npm install chromedriver
                             - rails db:migrate RAILS_ENV=test
                             - rspec

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
StannousBaratheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2018

Hi @hugh

It is possible to run webdriver tests in Pipelines. This article provides some details using firefox but a similar approach can be taken with chrome: https://medium.com/@yiquanzhou/run-selenium-ui-tests-in-docker-container-78be98e1b52d

In fact we test pipelines using this method ;)

Peter Hughes April 5, 2018

Thank you, that did help - I ended up setting it up using Firefox and Geckodriver, I kept running into issues with Chrome and Chromedriver.

Deleted user November 20, 2018

How possible without docker in bitbucket?

StannousBaratheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2018

Hi @[deleted],

Bitbucket Pipelines is based entirely on Docker. When you run your build script you're doing so inside a Docker container. If you don't explicitly specify an image in the bitbucket-pipelines.yml file, it will use the default Pipelines image.

That doesn't mean you have to be using Docker in your application to use Pipelines. It simply provides the environment in which your build runs. This is extremely useful as you can preconfigure a Docker image to come with all the tooling you need to build, test and deploy your application (or use an existing image provided by the Docker community).

So while it's possible to set up and run webdriver in the script section of the bitbucket-pipelines.yml file, it's actually more beneficial to utilise an image that has already been configured with the necessary tooling. The linked article describes that process. You would then use the image as your build environment by specifying it as the `image` attribute in your bitbucket-pipelines.yml file (your actual build script should remain largely unchanged). This will also reduce your build times as Docker images are cached.

balinder singh June 30, 2019

Is anybody still seeing this issue? I am able to run my selenium solution fine in Docker locally but when I run it in pipeline it crashes.

here’s my code. I am adding the sandbox flag as well

Like # people like this
Amir Sasson February 9, 2020

i am having the same issue, was anybody able to solve it?

0 votes
Sandeep.Dash March 24, 2021

@StannousBaratheon Hi, Build failure part 2.pngI am trying to run selenium web-driver tests with maven as the build tool in bitbucket pipelines. I am getting this driver timed out issues. Below is the link where i have posted my question in this commnuity and yet to get a response for it. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-Pipelines-questions/Build-getting-failed-in-bitbucket-pipelines/qaq-p/1640917

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events