SSH Key Read/Write for My Team/Organization

I'm in a Team with bitbucket account, and I've created a repo, say 

git@bitbucket.org:<my_team>/fashion_repo.git

The project is on remote server and all member's team should be able to push and pull using a common ssh key.

I've tried to add an ssh key to fashion_repo via 

Settings > General > Access keys 

but as advised I can gain read-only (pull) and not write (push) permissions.

Since my only need is to make git push and git pull without using my personal account (many developer on same project) and would that all developer could use same non-personal ssh key, what can I do?

I know I could create a new account as "server account", but I hope there's a better solution.

Thanks,

Sim

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Sim,

As long as your team has access to the repo, they can use personal SSH keys. For you to use common keys, you'll have to generate one and send the private key to each team member.

Hi Edwin,

and thanks for your reply.

One thing I don't understand: 

For you to use common keys, you'll have to generate one and send the private key to each team member

The one you suggest to generate should be generated in my personal account? that is I have to share a personal ad-hoc SSH KEY with other members? There's no chance to associate an unpersonal SSH KEY about that repo?

Sorry it wasn't very clear. I meant creating a new SSH key (unpersonal) that you can share with your team.

For my goal the shared SSH Key should be on my shared server but my problem is one:

where can I set that key into bitbucket repository's settings so that it could be possible perform both PULL and PUSH? (not read-only)

Here there's settings available with my account:

Settings Avaialbe Here

Settings > General > Access keys  is read-only, and I think that PIPELINES section is used to set pipelines, that is operation as test and build my project... I just want to be able to make PUSH command.

Be patient, please!

Your only option here would be to set up an SSH key; associate it with a specific user account; and distribute the private key.

I really do not like that option, though, because the act of sharing the private key is inherently insecure, and because you'll need to change the key every time your team membership changes. Far better to have your team members set up their own individual keys and do pushes and pulls on their own.

I was afraid it was just like that...

The problem is that all team (5 persons) access the server with same account (not best practice, I know), so we can't use more than one key.

Currently my solution is to have modified the repository's URL in:

https://bitbucket.org/<my_team>/fashion_repo.git

so each user can push and pull inserting it's username and password every time... uncomfortable, but a good compromise.

Thank you 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Color tables for a shiny Confluence page

...; ## Developed by: Alana Fernando ## Shared with love ## @param style:title=style type|type=enum|required=true|desc=Choose a style.|enumValues=Style1,Style2,Style3,Style4,Style5 ## @param alignment:title...

169 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you