Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFTP-deploy - Is there a way to create folders on a remote server?

Nenad_Mitrovic February 27, 2020

My team uses SFTP-deploy Atlassian Team Pipe as part of our CI. Anyway, whenever we have new folder in our code it breaks the build, because that folder doesn't exists on remote, and it don't try to create it.

Error it throws: 

Couldn't canonicalize: No such file or directory

Unable to canonicalize path "/var/www/<server_url>/<new_folder>".

Is there any way to instruct it to create new folders on remote server?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2020

@Nenad_Mitrovic one thing you could do is to run an ssh command before to create the missing folders. You can use the ssh-run Pipe for that:

script:
  - pipe: atlassian/ssh-run:0.2.4
    variables:
      SSH_USER: 'ec2-user'
      SERVER: '127.0.0.1'
      COMMAND: 'mkdir -p /var/www/<server_url>/<new_folder>'
Nenad_Mitrovic March 2, 2020

@Alexander Zhukov thank you for your quick response.

Because we don't know ahead of time which folder has been generated by user action (which triggered pipeline), does this mean that we could loop through local ./public folder, and execute that command for each folder in it?

(The previous step has generated all the folders/files that need to be pushed to the  remote server, and stored ./public folder as artifact.)

Alexander Zhukov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2020

Well, executing the pipe once for each of the directories will work, but I'd suggest to create all the directories in a batch. For example, you can use ls to get the list of directories and change the ssh command to 

mkdir -p /var/www/folder1 /var/www/folder2
Nenad_Mitrovic March 2, 2020

Thanks!

That's what I meant, to ls /public folder (from a previous step artifacts), and to make it as input to ssh command. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. 

Again, thank you for your help!

Travis Abdelhamed June 25, 2020

@Nenad_Mitrovic - I am running into the same situation and would love if you can share a snippet of how you created the new local directories in Bitbucket which do not exist on the remote server. Is there a check to see if the remote directory exists or not before creating one?

Like marcomasi likes this
marcomasi March 30, 2021

@Nenad_Mitrovic I thumb @Travis Abdelhamed's comment up coz I am curious about your solution too. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events