RuntimeException: org/zeromq/ZMQ

I'm trying to use a library that includes the jzmq library. IntelliJ doesn't notice any problems with my usages of that library and the code builds fine with "atlas-run". However, when the hook plugin that includes this code is run, I get a run time exception referencing zeromq. Here's the stack trace:

java.lang.RuntimeException: org/zeromq/ZMQ
    at com.atlassian.event.internal.SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.invoke(SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.java:54) ~[atlassian-event-2.3.5.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.event.AsyncBatchingInvokersTransformer$AsyncInvokerBatch.invoke(AsyncBatchingInvokersTransformer.java:100) ~[stash-platform-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher$1$1.run(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:48) [atlassian-event-2.3.5.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.sal.core.executor.ThreadLocalDelegateRunnable.run(ThreadLocalDelegateRunnable.java:38) [sal-core-2.13.4.jar:na]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [na:1.8.0_45]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_45]
    ... 1 frame trimmed
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/zeromq/ZMQ
    at org.fedoraproject.fedmsg.FedmsgConnection.connect(FedmsgConnection.java:36) ~[na:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.plugin.fedmsghook.hook.FedmsgPostReceiveHook.postReceive(FedmsgPostReceiveHook.java:29) ~[na:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter$1.visit(AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter.java:49) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter$1.visit(AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter.java:45) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.DefaultRepositoryHookService$RepositoryHookPagedTransactionCallback.doInTransaction(DefaultRepositoryHookService.java:611) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.DefaultRepositoryHookService$RepositoryHookPagedTransactionCallback.doInTransaction(DefaultRepositoryHookService.java:587) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionTemplate.execute(TransactionTemplate.java:133) ~[spring-tx-4.1.6.RELEASE.jar:4.1.6.RELEASE]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.DefaultRepositoryHookService.visitEnabledHooks(DefaultRepositoryHookService.java:304) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter.postReceive(AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter.java:45) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.stash.internal.hook.repository.AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter.onRefsChangedEvent(AsyncPostReceiveRepositoryHookAdapter.java:40) ~[stash-service-impl-3.10.2.jar:na]
    at com.atlassian.event.internal.SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.invoke(SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.java:36) ~[atlassian-event-2.3.5.jar:na]
    ... 6 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.zeromq.ZMQ not found by com.atlassian.stash.plugin.fedmsghook.fedmsghook-plugin [53]
    at org.apache.felix.framework.ModuleImpl.findClassOrResourceByDelegation(ModuleImpl.java:812) ~[org.apache.felix.framework-3.2.2.jar:na]
    ... 17 common frames omitted

It seems that the atlassian SDK is incapable of finding the zeromq libraries, so I tried to add the the location of the libraries to my PATH variable, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

I defined my dependencies like this and then it worked:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.zeromq</groupId>
    <artifactId>jeromq</artifactId>
    <version>0.3.3</version>
    <scope>runtime</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>com.fasterxml.jackson.core</groupId>
    <artifactId>jackson-databind</artifactId>
    <version>2.3.0</version>
    <scope>runtime</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>com.fasterxml.jackson.core</groupId>
    <artifactId>jackson-core</artifactId>
    <version>2.3.0</version>
    <scope>runtime</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.bouncycastle</groupId>
    <artifactId>bcpkix-jdk15on</artifactId>
    <version>1.50</version>
    <scope>runtime</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.functionaljava</groupId>
    <artifactId>functionaljava</artifactId>
    <version>3.1</version>
    <scope>runtime</scope>
</dependency>

The key was stating the scope as runtime.

0 votes

Hi Scott,

how did you define the dependency on the ZeroMQ library in your pom?

Cheers,

Stefan

I don't think I defined it at all. Here's what I did exactly: 1. I cloned this: https://github.com/fedora-infra/fedmsg-java 2. I built it to generate a .jar for source, doc, and classes. 3. I imported all of those .jars into IntelliJ, and all of my references to the classes that I was using from that library worked. 4. Built it with atlassian-sdk 5. Runtime exception I'll look into defining dependencies in the pom.xml

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 06, 2018 in Bitbucket

Upgrade Best Practices

Hello! My name is Mark Askew and I am a Premier Support Engineer for products Bitbucket Server/Data Center, Fisheye & Crucible. Today, I want to bring the discussion that Jennifer, Matt, and ...

433 views 6 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you