Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running tests after deployment best practices

Brendon Parker March 18, 2022

I see questions for this related to bamboo. But I’m using bitbucket cloud. 

What is the best process for running integration tests post-deployment? Should that be in the deployment step/script? Or a build step that runs after the deployment in the pipeline? Is it even possible to run a build step after a deployment step? If so, how do I make sure I don’t run another deployment while the build(tests) are running. 

I’m thinking it makes most sense to run the tests as a part of the deployment step, as then the deployment can pass/fail as a whole. Also keeps deployments in other pipelines for the same environment from running. 

looking for confirmation on this approach or other ideas. 

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Ankit Gupta March 20, 2022

Hey Brendan, 

Environment in Bitbucket is defined at a step level unfortunately, previously I have worked with Gitlab which did not have this limitation.

As per https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/deployment-concurrency-control/ the deployments are paused if there is one running for the environment.

So it makes sense to add them in the same script and not as a separate step.

Also, generally one should run the tests before the deployment happens, is there a reason there is a post-deployment test run? If that fails would you rollback?

Or by deployment you mean just the build process?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events