Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runner as a Windows Service?

Matt Reynolds September 6, 2022

Hi all,

I have the Windows runner working while I'm logged into the server, but obviously I can stay logged into the server as myself to keep the runner up and running. So I've been trying to get it to load as a Windows Service, without much luck.

The only error Event Log is saying is "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.", which isn't very helpful.

I've tried creating the service with the binpath pointing to powershell.exe along with the start.ps1 script.

Next I tried creating a bat file with the command and making that the binpath, but also not working as a service (runs fine from my logged in session).

Lastly I set the binpath to powershell.exe alone, and added the path to start.ps1 in the services start parameters, but no love there.

Has anyone gotten this to working, and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Matt

1 answer

1 vote
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2022

Hello @Matt Reynolds ,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community.

I'm afraid that the functionality to natively run the windows runners as a service is not available yet. We do have a feature request to implement it, which you can check at the following link : 

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the interest. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all features are implemented with this policy in mind: https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/implementation-of-new-features-policy-201294576.html

In case you are looking for a workaround, I would suggest taking a look at NSSM- service manager , which acts as a service wrapper and allow you to define a PowerShell script as your service executable.

Please note that this is a third-party tool and Atlassian cannot grant its functionality and does not provide technical support for it.

Thank you, @Matt Reynolds .

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events