Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run manual build on tag

Aashish Kumar1
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2017

Is it possible to run manual builds on tags in bitbucket pipelines ?

3 answers

5 votes
Mark Philipp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2020

The only way we were able to solve this was copying the tag build into a duplicate custom build where we could pass in the tag name.  For example,

bitbucket-pipelines_yml_—_lineage-apps.png

You can then trigger the build and pass in the tag name as a variable

lineagenext___sunnyvale-automation-apps___Pipelines_—_Bitbucket.png

It's stupid that we have to work around something simple like this, but hopefully it'll be fixed by Atlassian in a future release.

3 votes
Aaron Roydhouse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 7, 2020

I've hit this problem as well, there is not way to run a pipeline for a tag, even if you select a tagged commit, it will only run the pipeline for the commit and BITBUCKET_TAG is empty. You have to delete and then re-push the tag to trigger a tag build pipeline.

You should be able to trigger a build for any ref you wish, like CodeBuild and others can.

0 votes
xtjhin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Aashish,

Is there any reason why you don't set up a pipeline to run on tags? Then use the tag feature in Bitbucket to trigger the pipeline?

Kenn Lipa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 9, 2019

One use case i can think of is, if you are following the GitFlow where you create a tag on your master when the build is released and you decide to rollback, you would like to redeploy an old version of your code. 

Like # people like this
Kenn Lipa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 9, 2019

it would be a cool feature to have so i dont have to create a separate branch to redeploy. 

Guillaume Chopelet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 27, 2019

Could be useful when bitbucket is failing and don't run tags pipeline by itself (like now)

Like # people like this
jasonquick
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 12, 2021

And now.

Like Jeremy Luzzi likes this
Jeremy Luzzi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 25, 2022

Instead of running a pipeline when we create a tagged branch, I'd like to be able to pick a tag and run a pipeline on it

Like George Hategan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events