Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules for generating branch list on commit view page

Karl Ostmo October 9, 2013

Stash 2.8 introduced a new feature that lists the branches that contain a given commit. From what pool of branch names does stash select a branch to display? All I see is "master".

Also, in the branch listing page, is it capable only of showing ahead/behind counts for the "default branch" (e.g. "master"), or can it select from a more pertinent "release branch"?

1 answer

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2013

Hi Karl,

Stash will only show the default branch (master) if that commit is somewhere 'on' master. The reason being otherwise what branches would we show? Over time a commit will eventually end up on every branch created off master, and it would be unwieldy to list them all. If you have a commit that is not yet on master it will show the remaining branch(es) that it is on.

Regarding the branch listing page - currently it's only going to show ahead/behind counts for master, but we have certainly considered comparing to other branches. While I can't make any promises, I believe we might be extending the branch listing features in the next release.

Cheers,

Charles

Karl Ostmo October 10, 2013

In the screenshot from the 2.8 release notes, two branches are listed. I'm just wondering about the details of the algorithm that is used to select which branches to display in that list.

We have some long-term release branches that will never be merged back into master. It would be nice to display which of those long-term release branches a given commit is a member of.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

Hi Karl,

Yep. So if you go to a commit that is not on master and is one (or more) of those release branches it will list them all.

Basically we show either a) master or b) everything else

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events