Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing SSH key

Chris Butterworth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 1, 2021

After removing the SSH key from an old account which I plan on deleting, I can't use the same key with another account I have.

I know this is a security thing but with so many services tied to the same key I can't easily change it.

Any advice?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2021

Hi Chris,

You should be able to use an SSH key in your Bitbucket Cloud account, as long as it is not used in another account, or in another repo as an Access key.

What kind of error do you see when you try to add the key to your other account?

In case this key was used as an Access key in a repo and you removed it from there, it's possible that it is used in other repo(s) as well.

Running the following command on the machine that has the private SSH key, will show you if the key pair is associated with another account or repo:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa git@bitbucket.org

where ~/.ssh/id_rsa replace with the path and name of this private SSH key, if different.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events