Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve commit ids after/since a specific commit id

pp June 8, 2014

I am trying to get the list of all commit ids after/since a certain commit id, is there a git command..?

git log --pretty=format:"%H" --since=2014-05-04 would print all the commit-ids since 2014-05-04, similarly is there a command that could print all the commit ids after a certain commit-id?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
pp June 16, 2014

thanks Chris, yes I used the timestamp

m=`git show -s --format=%cD $COMMITID`

git log --pretty=format:"%H" --since="$m"

1 vote
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2014
git log --pretty=format:"%H" 123456..

or more briefly

git rev-list 123456..

If you want that commit to be included as well, use 123456^..

pp June 8, 2014

Chris,

May be I didn't put my question properly.

Example:

123456daskkl9

56787skjskdk8

adkasjdka6788

dkajsdklja76678

jkajskldal677889

If I try "git log --pretty=format:"%H" adkasjdka6788"

The out put is

adkasjdka6788

dkajsdklja76678

jkajskldal677889

Instead, what I am looking for is a command that would get the below output using adkasjdka6788 commit id.

123456daskkl9

56787skjskdk8

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2014

Consider if your commit history looks like this:

May 6          F == HEAD
              / \
May 5        /   E
            /   / \
May 4      /   /   D
          /   /     
May 3    C   /
         |  /
May 2    | B
         |/
May 1    A

So what's the difference between C and F/HEAD here? C only has A as an ancestor, but F also has B, D, and E as its ancestors (and C as well). So if I say git log C..F, it is going to tell me about what these differences are -- that is, it will tell me about B, D, E, and F.

If I say --since=2014-05-03, this is a very different question. It would have told me about the entire history, but I have excluded the things before May 3. This means it will tell me about C, D, E, and F.

Without the --since, how would git know that you want it to list D but don't want it to list B? Even if you followed a shortest path, what that would get you is directly from C to F, with D and E omitted as well. The date is the *only* reason that B didn't get listed by --since, and this is very misleading.

If this is really really really what you want, it amounts to getting the timestamp of the commit and then using --since with that timestamp. As far as I can tell, there is no intrinsic support for that. This is probably a good thing, because what that tells you is misleading.

0 votes
Pierre-Etienne Poirot
Atlassian Team
June 24, 2014

You can use:

git log --pretty=format:"%H" commit-id..HEAD

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events