Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting access of external projects and users

David Co March 31, 2022

I'm trying to restrict access of external bit bucket accounts from within my network while also allowing access to my own company's repos. Essentially I'd like to prevent external users logging in to my network. I'm currently using bitbucket cloud and trying to restrict this with a squid proxy without any luck. 

Does anyone know how to solve this ? 

1 answer

0 votes
Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2022

Hey David,

With a premium subscription to Bitbucket Cloud, you can control access to your private content by allow listing only certain IP addresses, there is further information on this located here:
https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/control-access-to-your-private-content/

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud)

David Co April 3, 2022

Hi Ben, we do have a premium subscription but that is not the issue.
I'm trying to prevent our intellectual property. ie. someone signing into their personal account and then checking in all my company's code 

Ben
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2022

Hey David,

If you are trying to prevent access to repositories - as long as those repositories are private, only authenticated users which belong to that workspace with the necessary permissions will be able to access/clone etc those repositories.
For instance, if a user logged into their personal account, and that account is not present on a list of users in the workspace - the content will not be accessible to them (for instance in a browser).
Similarly, if they try to clone the repository - they will receive an authentication error as the account being used to authenticate with the workspace is not on the list of authorized users.

Cheers.

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud) 

David Co April 3, 2022

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for replying, but I think I haven't explained this well enough. 
Let's say we have an employee name EmployeeA.

EmployeeA has access to the company workspace and is authenticated. 

EmployeeA ALSO has a private PERSONAL bitbucket account.

The scenario I want to prevent is EmployeeA logging into to his PERSONAL bitbucket, copying all the files from the company workspace and pushing it to his own PERSONAL repository - effectively taking a copy of the company's code

Cheers

Ben
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2022

Hey David,

As long as a user is authorized and has the ability to clone a repository - there is no way of preventing this from happening, unfortunately. The access controls/repo privacy measures put in place can prevent external users from doing so, but not users who are authorized.
If a user is suspected of doing this, we can produce clone logs upon request with a formal support ticket.

Cheers,

Ben (Bitbucket Cloud)

David Co April 3, 2022

Ahh thanks for that Ben. Is there any way we can change our domain name ? 
Then it would be easy for me to filter requests in my proxy. 

Eg. mycompany.bitbucket.org 
And I can block everything else like *.bitbucket.org

Ben
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2022

Hey David,

Unfortunately, this is not yet possible either. We have an existing public feature request however, I have added an internal comment to this to let our developers know that you have requested this also:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-21517

Please feel free to "Watch" this feature request for future updates related to it.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events