Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict origin of users' SSH keys

Nicholas Williams May 31, 2022

We run Bitbucket Server (will soon "switch" to Bitbucket Data Center, as Server licenses are going away). Up until now, we have not enabled the bundled Apache Mina SSHD server to provide SSH access to Git repositories, but we want to do that. However, due to internal security restrictions, we cannot allow users to upload any arbitrary SSH key to their account. Rather, all the SSH keys we use within our organization are issued/signed by a central authority. So, we need to restrict the SSH keys that users upload to their accounts so that they are from this trusted source and not something they have arbitrarily generated on this machine.

Is it possible, in Bitbucket, to in any way restrict the keys that users upload? If not, we would not be able to use the SSH feature.

So, at the time I posted this, I had not been given all the information about what exactly we needed, so I did not ask the correct question...

Our organization-provided key pairs do not contain any kind of special data that identifies them as coming from our organization. So, what we actually need is a way to enable SSH key access for all users but permit only Bitbucket administrators the ability to add keys for the users (in other words, users would not be able to upload their own SSH keys). The Bitbucket administrators would be responsible for uploading the organization-provided public keys to Bitbucket.

Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Nicholas Williams June 8, 2022

So, at the time I posted this, I had not been given all the information about what exactly we needed, so I did not ask the correct question...

Our organization-provided key pairs do not contain any kind of special data that identifies them as coming from our organization. So, what we actually need is a way to enable SSH key access for all users but permit only Bitbucket administrators the ability to add keys for the users (in other words, users would not be able to upload their own SSH keys). The Bitbucket administrators would be responsible for uploading the organization-provided public keys to Bitbucket.

Is this possible?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events