Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting GC on repo.

zachegwood January 11, 2022

I think this is the correct place to request garbage collection on my repo. I have a small UE4 project that is about 2x-4x as large as it is on my local machine, with only 1 branch in it.

Please let me know if I did something silly that caused this in the first place.

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2022

Hi, @zachegwood! Welcome to the community! 

Could you please tell me the last 3 letters of the name of this repository, so that I can identify it in your workspace? I could run a GC on the remote repository to remove any dangling commits there, this might reduce the repo size. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

zachegwood January 11, 2022

It's the latest one over been working on. The ending is either eAR or rAR

zachegwood January 12, 2022

This problem is still going on. The repo is over 5GB, but the files on my computer are only 1.76GB. I can't push any new commits because of this issue.

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2022

Hi, @zachegwood

Thanks for the additional information. 

We ran a GC against your repo, but the size remains 5 GB. Could you please run the following command and share the output with us?

git count-objects -vH

I have temporarily increased your repository size, so you can push your changes to Bitbucket. Please let me know when you do that, so I can run a GC again to see if the size is updated.

Kind regards,
Caroline

zachegwood January 12, 2022

Thank you.
I've now pushed my changes.
Here's the readout from my local run of count-objects BEFORE the push:

count: 79
size: 2.69 GiB
in-pack: 203
packs: 1
size-pack: 3.71 GiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

And here's the readout AFTER the push:

count: 104
size: 3.38 GiB
in-pack: 203
packs: 1
size-pack: 3.71 GiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

I only added a 3KB CSV file since my last local commit.

zachegwood January 13, 2022

@Caroline RIs there any resolution to this? The problem is still there and getting worse each time I push a small commit.

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2022

Hi, @zachegwood

I ran another GC against your repository, however, the size remains the same. In this case, I have created an internal ticket for you using the email of your community account, so we can further investigate what is causing this increase in size in this repository.

You should have received an email with a link to the support ticket. Just in case you haven't received it, please feel free to let me know and I can post the ticket URL here. The ticket will be visible only to you and Atlassian staff, no one else can view its contents even if they have the URL.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events