Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Garbage Collection

zachredfern March 24, 2022

Hello,

I have a repository reaching 4GB in space so I've run the BFG tool as recommended. As mentioned in this article, I've attempted to trigger automatic clean up, but have been unsuccessful.

Firstly, does automatic garbage collection only run when the repository's size exceeds the 4GB hard limit?

Secondly, are any support staff available to run garbage collection to reduce the size of the repository?

Thanks for your time,

Zach

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2022

Hi Zach,

The automated garbage collection will only run when all of the following is true:
1. The repo is over the 4GB limit
2. You undo the last push as per https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/reduce-repository-size/#Undoing-the-last-push
3. The feature Delete dangling commits when over size limit is enabled in https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/features/ for the account that does the push

Cleaning up the repo with BFG will not trigger it.

I see that your Bitbucket account has access to several workspaces and repos. Could you please let me know the last 2 letters of the repo name and also of the workspace that owns it, so I can identify it and run a git gc on it?

Kind regards,
Theodora

zachredfern March 25, 2022

Hey Theodora,

Thanks for listing the criteria, I'll keep that in mind going forward. 

The workspace is <workspace-id-removed> and the repository name ends in "o1."

I appreciate the help,

Zach

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2022

Hi Zach,

Of course, I ran a git gc on the repo and its size is 95.8 MB now. Does this agree with the size of your local repo, after history rewrite?

Just a heads up, I removed the workspace id from your post to protect your privacy.

Kind regards,
Theodora

zachredfern March 25, 2022

Hi Theodora,

The size certainly does look accurate. I believe all is in good order now.

Thanks again,

Zach

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2022

Hi Zach,

Thank you for the confirmation and you are very welcome, I'm glad to have helped.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events