Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository size not decreasing

Alexandrun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2023

Hello,

We pushed a big folder accidentally. Then we ran BFG and removed that folder. Now a local copy is around 1.4 gb, but the size shown by bitbucket is 3.89GB.

What else can I do, or should a gc be run on the repository by the Bitbcuket team?

Best regards,

Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2023

Hello @Alexandrun and welcome to the Community!

After cleaning up a repository and pushing it back to Bitbucket, it's necessary to run a garbage collection on Bitbucket side to remove the dangling objects that were left behind by the removal of the large files.

I went ahead and executed a GC in the repository of your workspace that matched the size you shared with us. The size was reduced back to 1.3GB :)

Now that GC is completed, I would highly recommend you having everyone on your team removing their old copies of the repository and doing a fresh clone of it. Since the old clones have a dirty history, it's better to delete them, so you don't risk pushing the dangling objects back into your cleaned repository, which would increase its size again.

Thank you, @Alexandrun !

Patrik S

Alexandrun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2023

Thanks a lot for your answer. The GC on your side can be run only by the Bitbucket team or is there an option that I can also do it in the future if we make the mistake again?

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2023

Hey @Alexandrun !

The GC is run automatically by bitbucket from time to time, but in cases where you want it to be expedited, you can let us know here in the Community and we can help execute it for your repository.

Like Sabine Mayer likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events