Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository size exceeds limit

Jim van der Laan February 13, 2022

Dear Bitbucket,

I got the following error message on the Source page of my directory:

Repository size exceeds limit

This repository is over the 4 GB limit and your contributors are not able to push new commits. To resolve this, reduce the repository size.

Bitbucket mentions that the size of the repo is currently 5.14 GB of 4 GBHowever, when running the git count-objects -Hv command, it shows me the following output:

count: 1
size: 4.00 KiB
in-pack: 65955
packs: 1
size-pack: 101.98 MiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

I tried to delete the repository on my local and cloned it again, and the size seems to be about 100 mb. Running the count-objects command on any server shows me a similar result, but I can't figure out why we are exceeding the limit.

Repo: <repo_url_removed>

Thank you in advance,

Jim

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2022

Hi Jim,

I ran a garbage collection on the repository and its size is 2.7 GB now. The remote repo most likely had some dangling commits and needed a git gc for them to be removed. Did you perhaps rewrite history for this repo?

Could you please take a mirror clone of the repo with the command

git clone --mirror <repo_url>

then run the git count-objects -Hv command in that mirror clone and let me know what output do you get?

A git clone command without the --mirror flag will only pull the repo's main branch locally and not any additional branches the repo may have.

Just a heads up, I removed the repo url from your post to protect your privacy.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events