Repository size differs from the real one

Aleksander Sorokin February 13, 2020

At the morning our repository size was about 1.3GB, but now its 2.8GB and we can't work with it. 

I can't imagine what should be commited to add a 1.5GB to our repository. And I think that this is the problem on your side. 

Also, i've cloned repository to my computer and checked the size of .git folder. It's about 1.3GB. So, it still looks like a problem on your side.

Could you please check it?

2 answers

1 vote
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2020

Hello @Aleksander Sorokin,

It's hard to tell what happened without knowing what repository you're talking about.

Repositories don't grow on their own, I'm pretty sure it was an accidental commit. It might've happened anywhere, not necessarily on the main branch.

Also, i've cloned repository to my computer and checked the size of .git folder. It's about 1.3GB.

Looks like whoever accidentally pushed something large realised that and fixed it soon afterwards.

Maybe it's just time to do git gc on your side?

Git runs GC automatically from time to time, but that doesn't happen on every change and doesn't necessarily collect all orphan objects every time it runs because GC is in fact quite expensive operation. So even when the repo size is reduced, it might not be reflected in Bitbucket's UI immediately.

Please let me know what is the repository in question. Note that Community questions are public, so if that's a concern, please feel free to open a support case with us.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

0 votes
Aleksander Sorokin February 13, 2020

Maybe it's just time to do git gc on your side?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events