cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository keeps growning despite removing larger files from commit history

fasc8
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2021

My repository reported a size over 2GB and I started to remove larger files from the commit history by using the suggested BFG tool.

The tool reported a successful run and the repository seems to be significantly smaller locally. But whenever I try to trigger the remote garbage collection the repository seems to grow rather than shrinking in size.

I tried several different methods (from the atlassion post and from SO) but nothing seems to be working.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2021

Hi, @fasc8

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

I ran the GC against your repository that was above 2 GB and was able to reduce its size to 235.6 MB. 

Just to give you some context around this behavior, after you push the changes with BFG, the remote repository still has the old references as well. So the GC is required on the remote repository to clean up any old references you have removed. 

We have a feature request to allow users to mark repositories for git GC, as you can check here:

Please consider adding yourself as a watcher to receive the updates as we make progress with this. If you are not familiar with our Feature Request Policy, you can read more about it here.

Feel free to share any additional questions or concerns regarding this case.

Kind regards,
Caroline

fasc8
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 10, 2021

Thank you. You ran the garbage collection for the right repository. It is now significantly smaller.

And I took a look at the feature request and added my vote to it.

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2021

Hi, @fasc8! Thanks for your confirmation, I'm glad to help. 

Kind regards,
Caroline 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events