Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository exceeded file size limit - reduced Repository size but still can not push

Kai Brodrecht October 25, 2022

Hey everybody,

we’ve exceeded the file size limit of our repository. To reduce the size we deleted unused branches and excluded some files. If we use the command git count-objects -Hv we get: 

count: 2943
size: 140.03 MiB
in-pack: 59012
packs: 10
size-pack: 3.51 GiB
prune-packable: 25
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

So the size-pack is 3.51 GB and should not exceed the file size limit?

I saved my local changes to a new branch and tried to reset the critical branch to a previous commit using git push –force but than it says that the repository size is 4.2 GB and I can not push to the repository.

Do you have any suggestion what to do next?

Best Regards

Kai

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2022

Hey @Kai Brodrecht 

Welcome to the community!

The size did not reduce because the remote repository still has all the dangling commits and cache taking the repository size.

Nevertheless, I have triggered Git GC on the affected repository that was in 4GB size, and the size has been reduced to 1.9GB after GC is complete.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Kai Brodrecht October 26, 2022

Hey @Syahrul

thank you the GC did the job. Is it possible to trigger garbage collection by myself? If the problem occurs again.

Best regards

Kai

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2022

Hey @Kai Brodrecht 

Awesome.

Currently, Bitbucket cloud runs Git GC automatically regularly.

However, if you need an immediate GC, you'll have to raise a support ticket or community questions request to trigger the GC manually 

Also, we have an enhancement request open to allow users to mark their repositories for GC, which you can refer to below:

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events