Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo size note reduced after large file history delete using BFG

KULarmin November 18, 2021

Hello,

I used BFG to remove a large file from my repo history. In other questions on the forum I read that the gc operation takes a bit of time to be executed. It has been over a day and nothing has happened yet on the remote repo. I am over the 4GB size limit and need to push to keep working on my project (deadlines approaching). I turned on the '
Delete dangling commits when over size limit' option in labs. Could you please have a look at my repo and do a manual start of the gc operation please?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2021

Hi @KULarmin,

I checked the repositories you own and have access to, I could find one that is over the limit so I went ahead and triggered a manual git gc for it. Its size now is 1.2 GB.

Does this agree with the size of your local repo if you run git count-objects -Hv, or do you have a local repo of a smaller size? If your local repo has a smaller size after you ran BFG, you can push your changes and let me know so I can trigger another git gc.

If the feature Delete dangling commits when over size limit is enabled for your account and the repo is over the size limit, a git gc will be triggered automatically if you undo the last commit and push that, see our documentation here:

The git gc will not get triggered if you push anything else, like history rewrite.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

KULarmin November 19, 2021

Hi Theodora,

thank you very much for your swift help and explanations. At the moment I do only have a local mirror repo (git clone --mirror git://example.com/some-big-repo.git)on which I did the history rewrite.

That repo is 923.83 MB large according to git count-objects -Hv. So slightly smaller than the remote one. That is okay for me and I leave it at that.

Kind regards,
Armin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events