Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Repo on BitBucket over 4 GB, has cleaned local large files, how can I push to remote?

Edited

Hi,

One of my repo at BitBucket is over the 4GB. I have undo the last push, and delete large files by git filter-branch. But when I pushed local changes back to the Bitbucket repository, it still says size limit.

Could you help to tell me how can I push to remote? Not sure if temporarily increasing the repository size or running the GC against this repo is needed.

Btw, the last 3 letters of the name of the workspace and repository are "ile" and "app".

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @yuanqimami and welcome to the community!

Undoing the last push will trigger a garbage collection under the following conditions:
1. the repo is over the 4 GB limit
2. Delete dangling commits when over size limit is enabled in https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/features/ for the user that does the push
3. you undo the last push and then push only that and no other changes (like commit deletions, changes with git gilter-branch, BFG, etc)

If your repo was over the 4 GB limit and the Labs feature was enabled, I believe the push must have failed because you were trying to push additional changes other than undoing the last push.

I ran a git gc for your repo and its size is 1.1 GB now.

Does this agree with the size of your local repo?

In case you have reduced the repo's size further by removing large files from its history, you can push your changes and please let me know so I can run another git gc for your repo.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,166 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you