Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo access after switching from windows to mac: set up ssh in personal settings but asked for pw

Rhea Malviya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 26, 2024

Hi there,

We are in the middle of a tech transition after switching from Windows PC to Mac. I was setting up my bitbucket access with personal ssh keys and i was able to clone repos from my workspace. However, when it come to pushing, i'm being asked to input my password through Keychain access. I have never run into this issue previously with these repos in which I'm repeatedly asked for my pw even after setting up SSH. I also tried inputting my bitbucket pw into keychain and it didn't work. Can anyone give any suggestions for how to solve this? 

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2024

Hi Rhea and welcome to the community!

If the password prompt comes from Keychain Access, then the password you need to enter is that of your Mac user account. SSH keys are not stored in the Keychain, but if your SSH key pair has a passphrase, that passphrase may be stored in Keychain and the SSH agent on your Mac can be configured to use the Keychain.

The protocol (HTTPS or SSH) used when cloning or pushing to a repo is determined by the remote URL you are using. You can navigate to the directory of the repo's clone from a terminal on your Mac and run the command git remote -v. Do all the URLs in the output start with git@bitbucket.org or is there any URL starting with https?

Did you set a passphrase for the SSH key pair that you use in Bitbucket Cloud, when you generated this key pair?

Does the ssh config file on your Mac have the option UseKeychain yes for Host * or Host bitbucket.org? See for reference:

The default location of a user-specific ssh config file is in ~/.ssh/config, whereas the system-wide configuration file for all users is in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Rhea Malviya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 26, 2024

also, in the midst of troubleshooting last week, our it team set up an app pw which is still there. If i revoke that to rely on ssh instead would that work? is this the issue?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events