Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo Size Increased, please reduce.

Pankaj Mundra December 20, 2022

Hi,

I already raised a issue about repository oversized and at that it was reduced from your end, but now again facing the same whereas, I have already removed the unwanted files but still after 2 months repo size is automatically increased.

Request you please reduce the size of repo from your end.

I ran "git gc"

Than I ran "git count-objects -vH"

Below is the output:

count: 0
size: 0 bytes
in-pack: 40155
packs: 1
size-pack: 1.45 GiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

Thanks,

Pankaj Mundra

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2022

Hi @Pankaj Mundra,

Your Bitbucket Cloud account has access to several repositories. I saw one repo with a size close to the 4 GB limit, I ran a git gc for it and its size has been reduced.

In case you would like me to run a git gc for a different repo, could you please provide the repo name masked (i.e. a few letters that can help me identify it among the ones you have access to)?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Pankaj Mundra December 21, 2022

Hi @Theodora Boudale ,

Thanks, you did the action on the required repository.

Just wanted to know, if there is any way next time I can do this step myself.

Also, can you please let me know what is the current size of the repository you ran the command.

Thanks,

Pankaj Mundra

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2022

Hi @Pankaj Mundra,

You are very welcome. The repo's size was 1.4 GB when I ran the git gc two days ago, and I see it is 1.5 GB now.

I'm afraid that it is not possible for end users to trigger a git gc for their remote repos.

A full garbage collection will run automatically if a repo is over the 4 GB limit and you push an update with a git reset. This is useful if the repo goes over the limit because of an accidental push of a large commit, you can read more details here:

In all other cases, you can create a question here and either I or one of my colleagues can trigger a git gc for your repo.

We have a feature request for what you are asking https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-11593 . You can add your vote and comment there to further express your interest.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Pankaj Mundra January 24, 2023

Hi @Theodora Boudale , can you please again run the command to reduce repo size.

Also, can you please check and tell me why every time the repo size increases, what is wrong I am committing.

Thanks,

Pankaj Mundra

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2023

Hey @Pankaj Mundra ,

I've just triggered a garbage collection in your repository and the size was reduced to 1.5GB.

Now that GC is completed, I would highly recommend you having everyone that has cloned that repository to remove their old local copies and do a fresh clone of it.

Since the old clones have a dirty history, it's better to delete them, so you don't risk pushing the dangling objects back into your cleaned repository, which would increase its size again.

Thank you, @Pankaj Mundra !

Patrik S

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events