Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote branch checkout failing : failed to execute prompt script (exit code 1)

nick_maunder April 7, 2020

Some of members in my developer team are having issues checking and and switching to new branches. We are using Sourcetree with our repositories stored on Bitbucket. They are able clone the repository fine but when they attempt to checkout a remote branch, the checkout process gets stuck and displays these logs.

bash: /dev/tty: No such device or address
error: failed to execute prompt script (exit code 1)
stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device

If you cancel the process, you'll see the all changes from the branch appear in workspace as unstaged files. If you try and do any other operations, your told another git process is running since the lock file wasn't removed as the checkout process was never able to complete.

The issue affects the members for multiple git repositories making me assume it could be an account based issue.

Any ideas what could be going on?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2020

Hello @nick_maunder ,

This seems to be an issue with bash support in Windows (I found a bunch of similar reports for other software running on Windows). Can you confirm that people that are facing this issue in your team work on Windows machines?

I'm not an expert in Windows config around this, unfortunately, but can you check which git does Sourcetree use (see this documentation page)? Can you please try switching over to another option and check if the problem persists?

Cheers,
Daniil

I can confirm that we are running on Windows. I'll look into your suggestion and will get back to you.

Nick

What we found that worked was changing over from embedded git to system git.

Thanks for your help Daniil.

Like # people like this
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2020

Cool, thanks for confirming this!

I'll let the Sourcetree team know about this issue with the embedded git.

Cheers,
Daniil

Ben Bloodworth November 3, 2020

Daniil Penkin, has the Sourcetree team made any progress on fixing this?  Two people on my team have also been dealing with this problem since April 2020.

Hasan Kuyumcu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2020

@Daniil Penkin we are having the same issue as well.

Kanin Temsrisuk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 20, 2021

Thanks, it's worked for me too. Changing embedded to system.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events