Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended workflow using the svn mirror plugin

Joseph Smith February 12, 2014

I now have the svn mirror plugin working for our organization. Now that the mechanics are working we are trying to determine the best workflow using feature branches and pull requests. Our basic workflow is:

1) Create a branch off of master for a given work item.

2) Once the work is completed, git push -u in order to create a remote branch on the Stash server so that we can issue a pull request.

3) Once the pull request is approved, merge that into master.

The one burdensome part of this workflow is that in order to merge back to master I need to git fetch --rebase the master branch and then merge that into the feature branch and then update the feature branch so that I am merging something that is consistent with the master branch (which is getting constant changes from svn).

This creates a sort of "rectangle" of branches, with my local master tracking stash's master and my local feature branch tracking stash's feature branch. Anytime a svn commit happens I need to rebase/merge that change from stash/master->local master->local feature->stash/feature.

I'm guessing there is a much better way of doing this. Any advice?

6 answers

0 votes
Joseph Smith February 13, 2014

That log file looks a bit odd to me - like the daemon is constantly restarting (is this expected)? In any case, most things work as expected, but we definitely cannot merge pull requests as you described. I've created this issue with the attached log: http://issues.tmatesoft.com/issue/SGT-833

Thanks for all of the help so far.

0 votes
Semyon Vadishev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

In this case the plugin may block pull request merge if someone has committed new revision into the same branch from Subversion side while the merge operation was in progress. Which presumably shouldn't happen too often. Can you please send us the log file <GIT_REPO>/subgit/logs/daemon.0.log to issue tracker or to support@subgit.com, so we can check whether it's a bug or not?

0 votes

We are using 2.0.7

0 votes
Semyon Vadishev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

Older versions of the plugin blocked merging pull requests, but since version 2.0.6 we got rid of that limitation, so you can create and merge pull requests as if there'd be no mirror involved. What version do you use?

0 votes

Yes, but the subgit plugin seems to be blocking the merge, even if the changes in master have nothing to do with the changes in the pull request, meaning that I need to update the feature branch much more frequently.

0 votes
Semyon Vadishev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2014

How that would differ from the workflow with no Git-SVN mirror involved? Changes may arive to Stash's master either from Subversion repository or from other Git users pushing to master, right?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events