Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read-access only on a forked repo on bitbucket.org

Mark Richter July 13, 2021

I forked a repo on bitbucket.org (tutorials.git.bitbucket.org) and when I try to push to it from my shell. I get this:

$ git push origin my1stupdates
Unauthorized
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
— end of message

Why can't I push to (or anything other than read from) it?  It's my fork.

I've checked all the usual places where I can look in github for security settings and nothing comes up.  When I check the user access, it says view only and I can't  change it.

What good is a tutorial fork when it's inaccessible for modifications to my fork?

Frustration level: high (probably obvious).

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2021

Hi Mark and welcome to the community.

You should be able to make changes to your own fork. If you try editing a file of the repo on Bitbucket website from the Source page of the repo and commit the changes, or create a branch from the Branches page, are you able to perform these actions?

I suspect that the issue you're facing may have to do with authentication from your machine to Bitbucket, and we would need some additional info to troubleshoot the issue and resolve this:

1. First, could you run the command git remote -v in your local clone and confirm that the URL listed for origin is of your own fork?

2. Are you using HTTPS or SSH to push to the repo? You can figure this out from the URL in the output of the git remote -v command.

3. I would like to ask if you could share the output of either of the following commands, depending on what authentication method you use. These commands will provide more verbose output and very possibly an indication of what may be going wrong when trying to authenticate.

If you use HTTPS:

GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 git push origin my1stupdates

Please make sure to remove the line that starts with “Authorization:” from the output prior to sharing it here, as it includes credential info.

If you use SSH:

GIT_SSH_COMMAND="ssh -vvv" git push origin my1stupdates

Also, make sure to sanitize any private/sensitive info in the output, e.g. your username, the workspace id.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events