README not rendered, but why?

Kaziq June 15, 2022

Hi, I'm trying to get my README.md file to display in the source page, but I only see:

Not getting that to display...

Normally, you'd see the README here, but something didn't go right.

Try again

Clicking on the "Try again" link shows a turning circle for a few seconds and then the same message again.

My README.md file renders just fine with https://markdownlivepreview.com/

How can I get to know what the problem with the file is?

I have created my file locally, then committed and pushed it. I also tried to follow the guide to create the README file from the web interface - I deleted the file, and tried to find the "Create README" button the manual mentions, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

The repository is here, if someone wants to take a look: https://bitbucket.org/Kaziq/brymen-and-sanwa-ir-interface/src/master/

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2022

Hi @Kaziq,

Please allow me to step in as Norbert is out of office.

Since your repository is public, I checked the Developer Tools > Network tab while loading the Source page of your repo. In there, I can see the request to get the README.md file returns a 400 error with the error message:

We cannot detect the file's encoding; unable to render file.

If I clone the repo and check the file's encoding, it shows as 'iso-8859-1':

$ file -I README.md
README.md: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Would it be possible to change the file's encoding to UTF-8 and then push it to Bitbucket? As per my testing, this should solve the issue.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Kaziq June 27, 2022

Yay, it works now. Thank you.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2022

That's good to hear, you are very welcome.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Answer accepted
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2022

Hi Kaziq,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community. I'm Norbert and I'm a Bitbucket Cloud Support Engineer, it's nice to meet with you!

I would like to inform you that we're not able to display the README file as you're linking the picture to your local repository, which unfortunately doesn't work:

![Board view from the top](/images/brd_top.png)

As a workaround, can I suggest you to upload the pictures under the Downloads section and change the syntax to something like this?

![Board view from the top](https://bitbucket.org/Kaziq/brymen-and-sanwa-ir-interface/downloads/brd_top.png)

Please let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Kaziq June 24, 2022

Thank you for the suggestion, but it still doesn't work.

I also noticed the image file extensions were wrong (png vs. jpg). I changed them, but the problem persists.

I pasted the updated images to the online markdown viewer, and they show up just fine.

What could be the issue now?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events