Question about custom pipeline creation

Mia Paulin April 25, 2023

@mention So I'm creating my custom pipeline using pipe integration and environmental variables I created.  There's a testing, staging and production, environmental variable thanks to the advice of many people who have helped me thus far-especially today. Thinking flow of control/programming logic-  It makes sense to create the environmental variables before you deploy to those environments, aka run the scripts that create the variables before yo deploy thrm there so you will have a place for these deployments to go, am I correct?  The same with the build and test scripts: before you run the building of the application and the testing, shouldn't you have a place for it to take place[a testing/building environment]?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2023

Hi @Mia Paulin,

Every repository with Pipelines enabled has 3 default deployment environments defined (go to Repository settings > Deployments). You can use the default ones in your bitbucket-pipelines.yml file or you can also define new ones and use them in your bitbucket-pipelines.yml file.

Below are some links about deployments:

If you want a certain command to use an environment variable, the variable needs to be defined before you use it. Instead of running a script that creates the variables during the build, you could also use a Workspace, Repository, or Deployment variable instead. You can check the following documentation on how to do this (see section User-defined variables):

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events