Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushing back to master from a pipeline

John Thomas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 17, 2020

The documentation here: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/push-back-to-your-repository/ implies that if I use an OauthConsumer I can write back to my master repo, even if permissions for the repo do not list anyone as have such permission.  Specifically: 

"If your repository has branch permissions enabled and you can’t commit back using the default configured HTTP origin, or you want to commit using a ‘Bot’ account or another authentication method, you have a few options. We recommend using OAuth above all other methods, for security and compatibility with the HTTP origin."

However, I've followed the instructions as outlined in this doc, and I still fail to write back to the repo.  It only works if I put "Everybody" as allowed to write directly to Master.  I can't put a specific user, as it's not actually a specific user (as far as I can tell) that is in fact doing the writing -- its the oauth "user", which isn't an option to specify.

Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Thomas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 21, 2020

I'll answer my own question as a duplicate given this ticket I since found: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/I-want-my-pipeline-to-push-a-change-to-master-when-branch/qaq-p/1264245

In this ticket someone suggests the documentation is incorrect/misleading, aka a "red herring" as they put it.

Which kind of makes sense really, but I do wish I could use the documented approach, or that Atlassian offers the a "best practice" approach to utilize.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events