Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Push docker image to private registry (ACR): "Your password will be stored unencrypted"

Hi all,

I'm using bitbucket pipeline to build and push images to a private Docker registry (ACR):

- echo ${AZURE_PASSWORD} | docker login $AZURE_ACR_URL --username "$AZURE_APP_ID" --password-stdin 
- docker push "${IMAGE}:${VERSION}"

It is working, but there is following statement shown in the logs:

WARNING! Your password will be stored unencrypted in /root/.docker/config.json. 
Configure a credential helper to remove this warning.
See https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/login/#credentials-store

I'm using the standard Atlassian template for the docker registry login and I'm wondering, if the whole process is secure? 

Or is it not relevant, because the credentials are just stored temporarly unencrypted within the runtime container of the building step and after the execution, the container shuts down and credentials are gone anyway?

Thanks for any feedback :)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark C Atlassian Team Aug 17, 2021

Hi @koanplaned ,

Welcome to the Community.

This is actually the default behavior where Docker stores the login password unencrypted in /root/.docker/config.json.

That's correct. Pipelines stores your credential temporarily within the runtime container/pod when you build a step.
However, after the execution, the container/pod will be shut down along with your stored credentials.

As a good practice, just always make sure you're using secured environment variables for your credentials.
This way, your credentials will not be visible on Pipelines UI logs.

Do let me if you have further questions that I can help with.

Regards,
Mark C

Hi @Mark C

thank you very much for your answer, that helped me to understand the whole process.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,232 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you