Push EXE to bitbucket

Is there a restriction from uploading certain filetypes (exe in particular) into Bitbucket as part of the Git/Hg repository? I pushed a local Git repository that included some Windows utility executables that are required for my software to run, but I can't see them in Bitbucket, and when other devs cloned from Bitbucket, they didn't have the exe's either.

3 answers

1 accepted

Well, I just dug into my end of this again based on Tim's question. There was no error, but there was also no record of the exe files in my commit.

I tried a "Show All" or my SourceTree working copy, and they weren't listed there either.

More digging - SourceTree has a global git ignore list that includes files built by Visual Studio, including .exe. After removing that, I am able to push exe files to bitbucket, and they show up there.

So, solution: Check the SourceTree (or maybe git?) global ignore file!

Timothy Chin Community Champion May 22, 2014

Do you mind sharing the location of this ignore?

There is an edit button in the Git tab of the Options dialog (there is one in the Hg tab, too).

How to upload an *.exe file on repository? I have some exe files on my local computer. But it does not show up in my repository.

When I add an text file, it shows "Uncommited changes" to commit. But when I add exe files, it does not show " uncommitted changes".

Did you read the answer you commented on? Check the global .gitignore file to see if all .exe files are ignored. Instructions on finding that file are in the previous comment.

0 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion May 21, 2014

Did the push fail? It should have if you don't see it in the remote repository.

Nope. I had no idea there was a problem until another dev who pulled the repo asked how he was supposed to run the software.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

1,767 views 1 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you