Pulling error due to unusual file names

gbuday January 19, 2022

I got a tarball of files from a MacOS user. On my CentOS box I was able to git add the directory and I committed and pushed it to my Bitbucket repository.

Now, on a Windows 10 machine using git bash, I got the following error messages using git pull:

From bitbucket.org:gbuday/buday-r-d
0bed1b5..1ef798d master -> origin/master
error: invalid path 'documents/logo/__MACOSX/budaygergo/gyűjtés - kép/._tools?'
error: invalid path 'documents/logo/budaygergo/gyűjtés - kép/tools?/osszekot_bend500422_31069866.jpg'
Updating 0bed1b5..1ef798d

and it aborted, it did not pull the files in the commit.

What can I do now?

1 answer

0 votes
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2022

Hi Gergő,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community, I'm Norbert from Bitbucket Cloud Support, it's nice to meet with you!

Based on my observation your Git client is failing as it's trying to download files with a Hungarian accented characters (űé), but it's failing as the combination of Git + Windows doesn't really support accented characters. 

Can you let me know whether if you can successfully clone in a Linux or MacOSX? In case you can, can you rename the Hungarian accented characters to English characters? For example á=a, é=e, í=i, óöő=o, úüű=u, Unfortunately *nix systems and Git don't really like accented characters. 

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

gbuday January 26, 2022

Actually, the accented letters do not confuse bash and git on Windows, but the question mark in the filename. I removed these and now it works.

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2022

Hi Gergő,

Thank you for your reply, we're glad to hear the issue is resolved for you.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events