Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pull request

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2020

Hello Team,

• A Jira issue is assigned to XYZ (= developer)
  • XYZ does the required development on a specific Bitbucket branch
  • After finishing the development, XYZ creates a pull request on Bitbucket
  • The reviewers (= most of the time ABC or PQR) review the code changes and provided some feedback
  • After approving the pull request the reviewer merges the pull request
  • The BitBucket uses the name of the reviewer as the author of the commit.

This last step is where my issue is situated. I would like to see that the author of the commit remains 'XYZ' as he/she did the code changes and not the name of the person that did the merge.

Anybody has come across this or any suggestions which will help me to get this done using any add-on or scripting would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 answer

1 vote
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2020

Hi @Yogesh Mude ,

You are probably using 'Merge commit --no-ff' as your merge strategy. Then the person who is merging will always create a merge commit and therefore is the author of the commit. If you don't want that you can either let the person who created the pull request merge the pull request. Or you can another merge strategy (e.g. fast-forward). 

Note that the first solution a process change (the developer stays responsible for getting his /her changes into the main branch) and the second is a change in the workflow, the developer needs to date with the main branch in order to fast-forward).

Rudy

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2020

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for the suggestions.

If possible, can you please elaborate a little bit more on fast-forward..the developer needs to date with the main branch in order to fast-forward).

Thanks,

Yogesh

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

I think it is already very well explained by Atlassian: https://blog.developer.atlassian.com/pull-request-merge-strategies-the-great-debate/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events