Pull request comment disappearing

After a pull request is updated if a line contains a comment and that line is changed the comment disappears. 

Is that the normal behaviour?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Luis, updates to a file in a pull request can cause comments to disappear. We attempt to put the comments back on the correct line however this is not always possible (for example when the line is removed from the file).

I don't know the particulars about your case, so I'm not able to tell  whether or not your comment should have been removed or not.

The Bitbucket team wrote a detailed description about this behaviour at Building inline comments for pull request and commits (see the "High Plains Drifter" section). This might help you understand how this issue is approached.

Lastly, are you using Bitbucket Cloud or Server? For Server, we have a feature request at BSERV-7534 You can vote for it or add your comments.

Hope this helps!

Ana

Hello Ana,

Thanks for the response. 

It's not the case. We are using at this moment Bitbucket Cloud for the first time and trying it. 

In this particular case, we made a commit modifying a line with a comment and it disappear. This commit the only thing that does is renaming a variable in the line so it's very strange.

Yes we read the documentation about the "Hight Plains Drifter" and we thought the comment wasn't going to be removed. 

Generally, if the line changes, it's in response to the comment(s), so the PR diff view hides comments that are possibly obsolete.

Look for a number next to the "Side-by-side diff" button on a file's header, like the 2 in this screenshot; if you click that, then you should be able to see the hidden comments on that file.Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.01.14 AM.png

Ah ok. That's the normal behaviour, the comment disappearing after a change on the line.

We though is a little hard to review the changes after the comment is gone. We need to open the box with the number "2" (on your example) a view what comment were made and in what lines to make sure the changes are fixed. Maybe we are using it wrong.

Thanks!

Do we have a way to visualize comments next to the last version of the code?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,327 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you