Pull Requests showing empty diffs

Stefan Kleist March 2, 2020

Lately Pull-Request-View is showing files as "empty diff" on the left while correctly reporting the number of added / removed lines in the files tree.

Same problem in "old" Pull Request view.

Is this a known Bitbucket Bug? Is there a workaround to get the correct diff?

bug.png

10 answers

6 votes
Ionut March 29, 2023

I've started to have this problem too since today.

In my case I couldn't see the diff in any pull request, even older pull requests that were already merged.

In my case I saw that I can't see the diff as long as I have the "TikTok Pixel Helper" browser extension is enabled.

I'm not sure why it stopped working today, because I've installed that extension a few months ago.

As long as I keep that extension disabled I can se the diff.

So check your browser extensions, maybe there are other that can break displaying the diff.

Edited:

As @natashabates suggests below another solution is to set "This can read and change site data" to "When you click the extension" for the "TikTok Pixel Helper" extension.

Tammy Keefer March 30, 2023

Same.  Disabling the TikTok Pixel Helper extension solved my problem.  So thank you!  If that extension isn't your problem, I was also able to see the diffs if I was in an incognito window.

nick.mcphedran March 30, 2023

Amazing thanks @Ionut - I would never have worked that out.  But I was having the exact same issue - everything worked fine yesterday but today I was just getting:

Empty diff

The diff for this file is empty.

Disabled the Chrome TikTok Pixel Helper, and now works fine again!  So odd, but thank you! 

Sajid Iqbal April 3, 2023

Pretty unusual but this helped. thanks @Ionut

natashabates April 4, 2023

Thank you for finding the solution! I changed the plugin to only read & change site data when clicked and it's resolved my issue.

Like Ionut likes this
Ionut April 4, 2023

That's also a good solution @natashabates  .

I'll update my answer to suggest that too.

Thanks.

Like natashabates likes this
Aakarsh Yadav April 5, 2023

Thanks, lot. 

Disable Tiktok pixel extension worked for me also. yeeahhhh 👍👍

Kiran Kumar April 10, 2023

Thank you... Even for me disabling the Tiktok pixel extension worked fine... smile

João André Simiquelli May 9, 2023

Thank you so much!

4 votes
Simon Travancas February 9, 2021

For anyone who has this problem in the future and ends up here, one possible cause (and what happened in my case), is that the PR has whitespace-only diff in the file, and my "PR Viewing Preferences" were set to not show whitespace changes. Changing it to show whitespace changes fixed the problem

djordje.milojevic February 21, 2023

This doesn't seem to be the fix, the file i have issue with is .gitkeep which is empty by default, and no matter what it always stays there with the empty diff. 

4 votes
Anthony Duhaime June 22, 2020

I am also facing the same issue.

Ctrl + shft + r didn't solve the issue for me.

zswanson June 24, 2020

Ditto - this is happening repeatedly. We can sometimes decline the PR and try again but now we're seeing it over and over on the same changes.

0 votes
Maleesha Gunasekara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 2, 2023

once you have this issue try to commit from the source control in the Visual Studio code then you will have to add a new or same commit message and do the push from the source control, it works for me

0 votes
Robbe July 24, 2020

As of today, we also have this problem. Hard reloading or another browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome) doesn't fix it. Very frustrating.

Nurudeen Akindele November 25, 2020

How did you eventually fix this then

zswanson November 25, 2020

Deleting the bad PR and re-creating it works for me when this happens.

Like pradipta likes this
0 votes
zswanson June 24, 2020

The other half of this problem is that bitbucket won't allow me to merge the PR. The commits are there, and shows the diff on the commit, but the PR interface is broken.

0 votes
John Moore June 7, 2020

I am also getting this same error "Empty Diff".  

Any ideas to root cause / fix?

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 1.51.48 PM.png

0 votes
Juanma May 8, 2020

It was failing me with Chrome, too. But with Firefox I was going fine.

I also checked that when I went to see a commit from the PR, the display worked correctly again when I came back.

0 votes
Kennedy Odife May 7, 2020

Suddenly facing this right now. Don't even know why it happens. My colleagues could view the PR correctly but I can not

Bhanu Prakash Vejju May 7, 2020

I too faced the same issue , hard reloading(cmd+shift+R) the page worked for me.

Like # people like this
pradipta May 8, 2020

Worked for me too @Bhanu Prakash Vejju 

Kennedy Odife May 8, 2020

Wow. Thanks @Bhanu Prakash Vejju 
Worked for me. Ctrl + shift + R on Linux

0 votes
pbazeliuk March 3, 2020

We faced the same issue.
Is there any decision?

Suggest an answer

TAGS