Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project permissions in BitBucket cloud?

bbryan March 29, 2018

Is it possible to setup Project permissions in BitBucket Cloud?  I have several people on my team who need access to all repositories under Projects A, B, and C, but should not have access to repos under Projects D, E, and F.  I know I can set permissions on a per repository basis but given the number of repositories I'd rather not do it there.  Another thought I had was to create multiple-teams but I'd rather not pay for a team per project.  Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2018

Hi Benjamin! In Bitbucket Cloud there are no project permissions, you'll need to grant permissions based on repositories, for more info about this you can check Create and grant access to Team repositories.  

There's already a Feature request to implement this functionality, you can vote for it at site/master/issues/13202.

Hope that helps!

Ana

bbryan March 30, 2018

I voted for it, thanks!

Christian Bongiorno October 30, 2018

That's a significant regression. 

Like # people like this
Andrei Pop November 15, 2018

Jesus, I just move from Self hosted to Cloud and indeed this is really a regression. Not OK.

Like # people like this
cramirez_ntst October 29, 2019

It's unimaginable that we have to create permission groups and then add new repositories to permission groups when they are created.  This is an enormous oversight.  

Like # people like this
ckincaid April 7, 2020

This is a gross oversight.  I want teams to be able to create their own repos, but now I have to give them admin of the entire space to do so, versus just doing them in their own project.  BAD!

Like # people like this
Andrei May 4, 2020

+1

Like # people like this
Justin Schmitz June 22, 2020

nutty that its 2020 and this is still a thing...

Like # people like this
Sahar Yacout August 17, 2020

We are still at the stage where we cannot set permissions on projects?

Any timeframe for this, it's enormous time needed to move from server to cloud with this not being available

Like cramirez_ntst likes this
Joe Bibby August 19, 2020

Please add project level permissions

Like # people like this
Michael Kriegel March 12, 2021

I get the impression that atlassian is not actively developing new features for Bitbucket or they don't invest enough into it. There are so many topics open for years, its a shame. I am considering moving my team away from Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Juan Castillo September 14, 2021

@Justin Schmitz nutty that its 2021 and this is still a thing...

Like # people like this
Stephan Hohn September 21, 2021

+1

Vijikumar October 7, 2021

any new update on this ? significant missing !

Randall Eike May 24, 2022

This is ridiculous.  How is Bitbucket even a thing anymore?  I'm moving everything to GitHub.

1 vote
Ruchi Ookalkar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2021

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your votes and comments on this suggestion.

I'm a designer on Bitbucket and we are doing further research on this topic and would love to invite you to take part in an upcoming customer research study.

Who we’re interested in talking to:

• Admins on workspaces with 250 members or more

• Admins who manage user permissions in Bitbucket

What’s involved in the research:

• Sessions are 1 hour and conducted over video-conference, so you can participate from anywhere around the globe.

• During the research, we'll start with a general chat to get to know you, then, we’ll have some questions to guide the conversations.

• As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $100 USD within 5 days of completing your session.

If you're interested in taking part, fill out the form here.

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to reply to this message. We look forward to meeting you!

Cheers,

Ruchi

cramirez_ntst October 18, 2021

Is that invitation still active?  It looks like there are no appointment slots in the next year.

spryce August 10, 2022

Just fix it. Do you not understand UX?

brent.mills January 10, 2023

I have 240 repos under one project.  I just had to tell someone they were crazy if they thought I was going to spend time assigning one by one.  This is ridiculous.

Like # people like this
brent.mills January 10, 2023

@spryce The ability to add users to a project is not one of the settings they added.  You still have to add users to individual repositories. :(

spryce January 10, 2023

@brent.mills - Wow. Why am I surprised by this... The adventure never ends with Atlassian. Absolute joke.

spryce January 10, 2023

@brent.mills - I see it's still In Progress. Hopefully that means this will still be addressed. Ideally before I retire. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-13202

Like Rodion Alukhanov likes this
ryan.ghavidel February 1, 2023

I'm wondering what was the intention of a Project if it does not allow permission settings! A folder?!?!

cramirez_ntst February 2, 2023

That seems to be the consensus in the replies from Atlassian.  A Bitbucket Cloud 'Project' is an arbitrary container for git repositories.  Only in March 2022 did they include  Project-level settings of "merge strategies" and "branching models".  Sigh.

Like Rodion Alukhanov likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events