Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems updating descriptions on pull requests.

Kento Kawakami January 12, 2022

Every time I try to update the description it's giving me this error message and unable to save. It's been doing this since yesterday.

"Something went wrong
We couldn’t update the description. Wait a few minutes and then try again."

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2022

Hi, @Kento Kawakami! Welcome to the community! 

The “Something went wrong" message usually comes with a 5xx response that shows a Sentry ID code. This code may give us some indication of what is causing this issue. In this case, could you please follow the next steps to find the Sentry ID, so I can further investigate this issue?

• Open the "Developer tools" in the browser you are using (click on the three dots > More tools > Developer Tools): 

devtools.png

• Then navigate to the Bitbucket page that gives you this error 

• In "Developer tools", select the Network tab

• Find and select the request that gives a 5xx response

• In the Headers panel (after you select the request with 5xx response), check if there is a field named sentry id.

• If you can provide us with the value of that field, I can look it up in our system for further info.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Kento Kawakami January 17, 2022

I should have just done this from the beginning. I just saw that the request that was coming back was a 400 where one of the reviewers on it has left the company after the PR has been created. Their account is no longer in the workspace and was causing that 400 error when saving changes to the description. I simply removed them from the PR reviewer list and that fixed the problem. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2022

Hi, @Kento Kawakami

I'm glad to know you were able to find the problem in this PR and solve it. Thanks for sharing the resolution here, so other customers can also find this in case they face a similar issue. 

Kind regards,
Caroline 

mawi July 7, 2022

Yup, got this same problem (Bitbucket/Jira/confluence cloud):

Repro

1. Use a current bitbucket cloud installation

2. Create a PR, add reviewers. Add stuff.

3. One of the reviewers leave the org: Remove his account from bitbucket.

4. Go the PR, try to update description.

Expected:

Bitbucket handles the non-existing reviewer user account entry in the PR, perhaps alerting that faulty information (non-existing user is referenced in the data of the PR) was provided and that it must be remedied, etc.

Actual:

Bitbucket does not provide any feedback after validating the input and instead presents a general error message that something went wrong, leaving the user (me) completely confused and with no info of what is happening.

This is not ok behavior, I would say it is a defect.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2022

Hi @mawi,

I agree that an error message should be displayed indicating the problem and what the user needs to do in order to resolve it.

I went ahead and created a bug report in our issue tracker:

Our development team tracks bugs over there and will post an update on that issue when this is fixed.

Please note though that we don't provide ETAs and bug fixing is implemented as per our policy here.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events