Every time I try to update the description it's giving me this error message and unable to save. It's been doing this since yesterday.
Hi, @Kento Kawakami! Welcome to the community!
The “Something went wrong" message usually comes with a 5xx response that shows a Sentry ID code. This code may give us some indication of what is causing this issue. In this case, could you please follow the next steps to find the Sentry ID, so I can further investigate this issue?
Open the "Developer tools" in the browser you are using (click on the three dots > More tools > Developer Tools):
Then navigate to the Bitbucket page that gives you this error
In "Developer tools", select the Network tab
Find and select the request that gives a 5xx response
In the Headers panel (after you select the request with 5xx response), check if there is a field named sentry id.
If you can provide us with the value of that field, I can look it up in our system for further info.
I should have just done this from the beginning. I just saw that the request that was coming back was a 400 where one of the reviewers on it has left the company after the PR has been created. Their account is no longer in the workspace and was causing that 400 error when saving changes to the description. I simply removed them from the PR reviewer list and that fixed the problem. Thank you!
Yup, got this same problem (Bitbucket/Jira/confluence cloud):
1. Use a current bitbucket cloud installation
2. Create a PR, add reviewers. Add stuff.
3. One of the reviewers leave the org: Remove his account from bitbucket.
4. Go the PR, try to update description.
Bitbucket handles the non-existing reviewer user account entry in the PR, perhaps alerting that faulty information (non-existing user is referenced in the data of the PR) was provided and that it must be remedied, etc.
Bitbucket does not provide any feedback after validating the input and instead presents a general error message that something went wrong, leaving the user (me) completely confused and with no info of what is happening.
This is not ok behavior, I would say it is a defect.
I agree that an error message should be displayed indicating the problem and what the user needs to do in order to resolve it.
I went ahead and created a bug report in our issue tracker:
Our development team tracks bugs over there and will post an update on that issue when this is fixed.
Please note though that we don't provide ETAs and bug fixing is implemented as per our policy here.