Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugin equivalent for the Cloud

Deleted user May 19, 2021

Hi,

I'm at a phase of collecting as much information about migrating bitbucket repos from on-prem server to the cloud solution for the planning phase of a PoC im running.

Obviously not all plugins are available for the cloud version. I am particularly looking for your insights and experiences specifically with PR-Booster and ScriptRunner and the alternatives that you have found and/or implemented.

Implementations that also have a version for server would be great as well, as it will allow me to add them now, get the users to experience it so If and when, the migration would potentially be more slick.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

There is a faulty assumption here, although it's a very understandable one.

Server and Cloud are two very different things, and so are the apps written for them.  When migrating from one to the other, you should assume that every app is going to change.  Whatever functions an app provides on your current system, if you want to do the same thing on your target system, then you should look for an app to do it, not just assume that the app currently doing it might translate.

I'll use Scriptrunner for Jira as an example.  We have SR for Jira Server and SR for Jira Cloud..  They are two totally different products.  SR for Jira Cloud was written from scratch, it's not a variant of branch of SR for Server, it's a completely new product.  It's even written in a different language.  On top of that, it can't provide the same functions - Cloud doesn't yet support the things Behaviours could do (so there's no Behaviours module in Cloud SR) and, even more - scripts written for server can't work on Cloud, you have to look at each script individually and work out how to do it on Cloud if you're migrating.

Deleted user May 25, 2021

Hi Nic, thank you for your comment.

Yes I understand cloud versions of tools would be different as to the capabilities they can offer. 

As for SR, it is only available for Server and Datacenter, there's no indication in the Marketplace that it is available to the cloud or did I miss something ?

I already figured some of the scripts will have to be created from scratch or potentially use a different plugin. That comes without saying.

A second plugin we use on server is PRBooster, that 2 years ago we could not find an adequate built-in solution to do that. Now 2 years later, its still not available as a cloud plugin but part of my PoC is to find out whether new cloud feature are now available built-in to compensate for the lack of PRBooster as a cloud plugin.

I'm hoping members of this community that had experience with these plugins for example, would be able to share how they did it, what they had to replace and more. As mentioned in original post its part of collecting potential breaking functionality changes that will require us to change our process.
We are going to have to move by 2024. That's inevitable, just looking to smooth the process.

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

@[deleted]Due to the differences between server and cloud, even if plugins have the same name, their capabilities are usually different.

During a migration I would primarily look into plugins which support the features you need, and change the plugin if needed.

Deleted user May 20, 2021

Hi Marc,

Around 2 years ago (before my time) an attempt to migrate to bitbucket cloud was made and some functionality was missing which resulted in staying in server version and using plugin like ScriptRunner to set some rules. I am hoping this functionality now comes out of the box, so potentially I can remove the dependency on this plugin as it doesn't have and not sure it will have an alternative.

Thus looking into insight form others who have used those 2 plugins and did a migration and are able to share their inpu.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events