Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipeline fails with "Error" when adding multiple steps

Pradeep Vanga January 11, 2023

When I am adding additional steps to an existing pipeline, build just fials with status "Error" with no futher information as to why it is failing.

Build time is "0s" and opening the result leads to an infinite loader with a blank screen.

If I comment one of the steps, things work fine.

branches:

containerization:

- step:

name: Publish assets to s3 bucket

deployment: test

image: atlassian/pipelines-awscli

script:

- ./deploy-s3

- step:

name: Restart docker containers on remote server

deployment: test

script:

- ./scripts/app-restart.sh

error.jpgloader.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pradeep Vanga January 11, 2023

wow, this is really bad.. the issue is that I am setting the deployment: test to use the env specific variables in these steps.. turns out it is not supported

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-18261

UI wasn't showing any feedback, I had to go through the request, and responses in browser console to see the actual error. I spent hours trying various combinations to understand why things are failing sometimes even though everything looks correct.

I also had similar issues with docker build where some of the things were getting killed it seems, but there was no feedback in the docker build logs that an OOM event happened.. after shooting in the dark for long, increasing the memory helped.

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2023

Hey @Pradeep Vanga ,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Reading through your last comment, my understanding is that you would like to use your deployment variables in more than one step, i.e., a multi-step deployment.

By the time I write this message, we have a Beta feature available called Stages, which allows you to group pipeline steps and configure shared properties, such as grouping deployment steps.

Please allow me to share an example of how to configure your YAML file to use a multi-step deployment : 

pipelines:
   default:
    - stage:
        name: Build and test
        deployment: staging
        steps:
          - step:
              name: Build app
              script:
                - sh ./build-app.sh
          - step:
              name: Run unit tests
              script:
                - sh ./run-tests.sh

In this example, any deployment variable setup for the environment staging would be available for both of the steps.

For more details and examples of using stages, you're also welcome to check our Stages official documentation.

Thank you, @Pradeep Vanga !

Patrik S

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events