Pipeline does not always trigger on commit to master

Bree Coffey November 15, 2021

Hello, our team has a few bitbucket repos where we notice that the pipeline is not triggered when a commit is made to master. The pipeline YAML file is valid, and when we run the master branch pipeline manually, it works fine. This is also non-deterministic, as sometimes a commit to master will trigger. We are using a squash commit to merge from release to master.

Here is an abbreviated version of what our pipelines file looks like.

pipelines:
branches:
master:
- step: ...
release/*:
feature/*:

Is there anything we can do to ensure it always triggers on a commit to master? We do not have this issue with merging feature branches into release.

1 answer

1 vote
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2022

Hi @Bree Coffey 

Welcome to the community!

Just to clarify, when the pipeline fails to automatically start is it on a normal push commit, or is it from a PR merge?

Can you verify this because if it's specifically didn't start from a PR merge then most likely caused by the PR being too large which didn't trigger the webhook to start the pipeline?

You can do a quick test on this by navigating to Repositories settings Webhooks there should be two pipelines read-only hooks as the screenshot below

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 12.11.31 PM.png

Click view request on both of the hooks and click Enable History this will enable a log for both webhook. You can then create a pushed commit and a dummy merge PR to see if the Webhook did trigger accordingly to run the pipeline or not.

If both work fine then I suspect the issue could be due to large PR, you need to try merging a large PR to see if the webhook did get triggered or not.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events