Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipeline Build teardown issues

Jonathan Gafner July 5, 2022

Hi 

In our pipeline we have one step on self host (that run in parallel with other steps ) that has issue with the Build teardown taking forever (no artifacts are upload and no caches ) and I have some questions about it:

1. Any documentation on exactly what BB is doing during the Build teardown?
  2. Why the Build teardown is taking minutes and show always ```<1s``` ? 
  3. The Build teardown is printing "Searching for test report..." and then it keep running without any info - how can I see what it is doing ? 
  4. Any way to avoid the test scan for a step ? 

In attach images of the total time and the steps times: (the 5 min diff is all in the build teardown)

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.33.36.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.34.27.png

Thanks 

4 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Gafner January 5, 2023

@Theodora Boudale hi - any chance you have good news for me on how one can avoid the scan complete ? 
Not all pipeline run tests so I don't get why on each pipeline BB need to scan for tests result this is really a pain point for us 

Thanks 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2023

Hi Jonathan,

Scanning for test reports cannot be disabled. I went ahead and created a feature request about this in our issue tracker:

The public issue tracker is where our product managers and development team track feature requests. I would suggest adding your vote to that feature request (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps us better understand the demand for new features. You can ask your team members to add their votes as well.

I would also suggest adding a comment with feedback and your use case, and adding yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Jonathan Gafner July 18, 2022

Hi @Theodora Boudale 

I found the root cause but not sure how to solve it... 

The cause of the long teardown is that we have a node_module under one of our modules and it contains 1120 dependencies (folders) that are scanned by the pipeline to find test results xml. I found it out by adding an ```rm -rf``` step to the node_modules as a last script step and I saw that it is  taking now minutes to remove the node_modules folder but the teardown become less than a second.

The wrong duration presented is still a bug of yours but at least I know the root of the duration. 

I was wondering if I ll create a fake dummy xml test result the scanner will stop with the first found or it scanning depth 4 (in the docs it say 3 and in the job it says 4 )  ? 

Thanks 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2022

Hi Jonathan,

Creating a dummy xml test result is not going to work, because the scanner will keep running.

One thing you could try is creating a directory with depth 5 and moving the node_modules directory there. If you do that, you may need to change the configuration in your project so that it can find the node_modules directory in the new location.

I can create a feature request about the ability to disable the test report scanner for our development team to consider, please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to proceed with that.

I will reach out to my team internally regarding the discrepancy between the documentation and the Pipelines log.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Jonathan Gafner July 14, 2022

@Theodora Boudale  thanks. 

But this is a script made by the pipeline and is added to each step define in the yaml, so it is on Atlassian to add logs. 

Regarding the ticket I saw similar ticket opened since 2017  ;( 

Thanks anyway 

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2022

Hi Jonathan,

Regarding the following:

I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid the test scan for a step, I will ask my team and get back to you.

I'm afraid there is no way to disable scanning for test reports.

If you would like us to investigate why the 'Build teardown' is taking such a long time for your builds, please create a support ticket by following the steps I mentioned in my previous reply, otherwise, we cannot access the repo and investigate. We need a support ticket for this instead of a community question.

The support ticket will be visible only to you and Atlassian staff, so you can provide the URL of a build with this issue and it won't be publicly visible.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2022

Hi Jonathan,

We don't have any documentation specific to the "Build teardown". I believe that the times displayed in the Pipelines log get updated when there is output, so one possible reason for the time being displayed as <1s would be that there is no newer output in "Build teardown".

It is hard to say what is happening though without checking additional logs. I would advise creating a ticket with the support team and providing the URL of a build with this issue so we can further investigate. With a support ticket open, the engineer working on your case will be able to access the repo and additional logs in order to investigate.

Since your workspace is on a paid billing plan, you can create a ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/, in "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as product.

I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid the test scan for a step, I will ask my team and get back to you.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events