Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PipeLines and Deployments

sc June 4, 2019

Dear all,

I am actually exploring BitBucket and study it. I have used already in the past CI/CD tool like Team City and Octopus but I try to find out similar behavior in Bitbucket and based on that I have few question :

Q1 : PipeLines, as I understand are used for continuous integration in the sense that as long as a new change is pushed, it is trigger in order to build the all project.

Based on that build the question I get is where does the build binaries gets stored and located ?

Q2 : I have seen in some example, that you need a yml file for instruction on what to build. I have seen in some sample that people were placing in that file some scripting which directly deploy the binaries directly to a target using strange scripting action.

By doing so if they deploy the binaries from the PipeLine script .yml file, what is the used of the Deployements menu in BitBucket ?

Thanks for clarification

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2019

Hello,

Q1:

You're correct in how Pipelines works. The build binaries are stored temporarily in Bitbucket (for a week) if you define them as artifacts. Which you can then reference in later steps of the same pipeline, for deploying. If you'd like longer term storage, you can use an external service, such as JFrog's Artifactory, or a publicly available registry such as Maven's or Python's.

Q2:

The Deployments page is used for tracking the state of your environments. For example, you can visually track release progress of code from staging to production. It also provides a few additional features for Pipelines, such as deployment concurrency and deployment permission control.

Thanks,

Phil

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events