Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanently delete file from history, edit previous commits

zzzz8 November 30, 2014

Unfortunately, I've previously pushed files into my BitBucket Mercurial repo that included some sensitive information (e.g. passwords).  I want to deal with this in two ways:

• There are some files which I want to delete permanently from my Mercurial history
  • There are some files where I want to edit the revisions directly.  I do not want to delete these revisions because I want to keep a history of these revisions.

I am not worried about "other" users because this is a private repository and I am the only user/committer.  How do I do something like this?  I want to keep my current BitBucket Mercurial repo because I have a bunch of issues created, etc.

If I have to delete the repo, is the repo really deleted on a permanent basis?  Does BitBucket/Atlassian keep old copies of my repo in some sort of backup somewhere, etc.?

3 answers

1 vote
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2014

We always recommend that, if sensitive data such as passwords or private keys are stored in a repository, that they be considered compromised and no longer usable. Please change your passwords.

0 votes
Jelena Vatavuk May 31, 2016

What if the information that was exposed was personal information, rather than something that couldn't be changed like a password, so it needed to be somehow removed/hidden/blacked out from the history?

0 votes
zzzz8 December 2, 2014

Hi John, thanks for the answer.  I am definitely going to do what you suggest.

However, it still doesn't answer my original questions.  What do you suggest for my original concerns and questions?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events