Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password recovery without email

Stefan November 20, 2020

I have a bitbucket account I have been using for a couple of years but haven't logged-in in a while. The email I signed up with is an old university email that recently expired. I don't remember my password for the login, but I am sure it is the right email. So unfortunately, I am not able to get the password recovery emails. I do know the username I am using and I still have access to the repositories via ssh. Any way I can regain access to the site?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2020

Hi Stefan,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do I understand it correctly the server is managed by someone else and you just want to have your password reset?
If so, this should be an easy task for the admin or your Bitbucket server/cloud instance:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/users-and-groups-776640439.html

In case you are referring to a Bitbucket server you control you can check the article "Lockout recovery process": https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/lockout-recovery-process-776640158.html

Cheers,
Daniel

Stefan November 23, 2020

Hey Daniel, thanks for your reply. Sorry, I described my problem very badly. I am talking about bitbucket.org and I still have access to my github repositories through ssh. That is why I still know my username and email, but I just can't get any recovery emails to that email for the said reasons above. I tried to connect to bitbucket.org via ssh but login is disabled (I assume for good reason) so  I can't change my password that way. But the access to the repositories works well through ssh. (I had to use another account to post here.)

TIA!

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2020

I searched through Community a bit and in cases like this support team stated there is no possibility to reset the password because of the fact your identity cannot be verified.

Perhaps you can raise a support request, eventually things changed, but I doubt this will work out. Probably you can get the old mailbox account working for a short amount of time?

Except writing to support I am out of ideas then, I am sorry. You are right, there are reports that log in via SSH suffices to set a new password but this does not work in your case either from what you stated. :-/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events